BGP table size

Maria Matejka jan.matejka at nic.cz
Mon Aug 12 16:10:09 CEST 2019

Basically, we eat about 64 bytes per prefix, 64 bytes per route and
(112 + variable) deduplicated route attributes.

Therefore in the most basic case, you can have 6.4MB for 100k prefices
+ 6.4MB for 100k routes (one per prefix) + 112 bytes when all the
prefices have the same nexthop and nothing else, in total ~13 MB.

If you get a full 4k packet of BGP attributes for each route, the latest
value is not 112 bytes but ~4k*100k ~ 400MB in (probably) worst case.

Looking into our testbed having full IPv4 BGP feed loaded (760k
prefices), BIRD eats 89MB for route table entries and 48MB for the
deduplicated attributes, in total 137 MB.

After normalization to 100k routes, you get 137 MB / 7.6 ~ 18 MB.

Maria