BGP table size

Cybertinus bird at cybertinus.nl
Tue Aug 13 11:58:02 CEST 2019

On 2019-08-13 09:58, Maria Matějka wrote:
>> It is not a memory you should be concerned about. The main issue of
>> bird with huge BGP tables is CPU – bird uses only one core.
>
> Which is what is going to be fixed in a short time (about a month to
> first test release, I hope), at least if you don't use Kernel
> protocol.
>
> Merge to master is planned to early 2020, which is a bit optimistic
> estimation but still reasonable.
>
> Maria

Hello Maria,

This is very interesting news! Can you tell me more about this (maybe in
a separate thread, to not pollute this one)? first few questions I do
have:
1. Will this be done only in the 2.x branch, or also in the 1.6.x?
2. If you do use the Kernel protocol, is the entire Bird process still
single threaded, or only the part regarding the Kernel protocol? So,
calculating which route is best could still be multi threaded, but
sending the end result to the kernel is single threaded
3. If you do use the Kernel protocol to send routes to the kernel, is
there any alternative to get Bird fully multi threaded?

I run Bird on 4 routers, most of them have 8 cores, one of them even has
12 cores, so I would love to be able to use all those cores for Bird!
And I could even double the amount of cores if I would enable Hyper
Threading again, but from a security point of view I don't want to do
that.

Kind regards,
Cybertinus