bird 1.6 seems to ignore ipv6 kernel routes on 4.19

Tom Bird tom at portfast.co.uk
Wed Aug 21 19:50:01 CEST 2019

On 21/08/2019 16:50, Ondrej Zajicek wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 21, 2019 at 02:35:13PM +0100, Tom Bird wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I recently updated some virtual machine hosting nodes to Debian Buster from
>> Stretch, and I'm having an interesting problem with IPv6 kernel routes.  My
>> example uses 1.6.6 but 1.6.7 shows the same behaviour, so I'm just wondering
>> what I am missing.  v4 is all working as expected.
>
> Hi
>
> It seems that it is related to adding routes using 'route' command instead of
> 'ip route' command.

That's really interesting and you are right.  This explains why my
default route was getting into bird in my test environment (system init
scripts won't be using the legacy route command).

It has been a to-do of mine for some time to deprecate the old 'route'
and 'ifconfig' in some of our internal scripts so I think today might be
the day to do that.

> Perhaps it may be difference in in kernel version? Different traslation of
> old route API calls?

It's still a valid route that the kernel acts on, so I would class this
as a bug of some sort. It looks like this list is the place to report
such things so I shall leave it here.

Thanks very much for getting to the bottom of it.
--
Tom Bird

http://www.portfast.co.uk/ : AS8916
UK Limited company #6061075 : +44 1777 29 28 27