IPv6 BGP & kernel 4.19

Daniel Suchy danny at danysek.cz
Sun Dec 1 12:51:05 CET 2019

Hello,
I'm running bird 1.6.x branch (packages from Debian/Buster; currently
1.6.6) on recent 4.19 custom-build kernels without any issues (on armhf
hardware).

My BGP sessions are carrying only few routes (default + some more
specifics).

One idea that comes in my mind is default kernel limit for IPv6 routes
in memory (sysctl net.ipv6.route.max_size); and such default is quite
low for fullbgp/DFZ IPv6 deployments and it's still set to 4096 on
Debian/Buster with stock kernels. Can people having issues with 4.19
kernels check sysctl mentioned above?

- Daniel