bird 2.0.7 crashes with OSPF

Ondrej Zajicek santiago at crfreenet.org
Sun Dec 22 15:51:48 CET 2019

On Sun, Dec 22, 2019 at 01:00:05AM +0100, Nico Schottelius wrote:

> Hello,
>
> continuing my travel now with OSPF, we have found two cases to crash
> bird via birdc:
>
> bird> show ospf topology all ospf_v4
> Connection closed by server
> [00:50] replacement-router1.place5:~# ps aux | grep bird
> 14220 root      0:00 grep bird
>
> bird> show ospf state ospf_v4
> Connection closed by server
> [23:44] router1.place6:~# birdc
> Unable to connect to server control socket (/var/run/bird.ctl):
> Connection refused
>
> The config leading to this is attached below.

Hello

Does not crash to me. Could you get core dump (running bird with ulimit
-c unlimited) and send it to me? Do you use precompiled BIRD binaries
from some package?

> Best regards,
>
> Nico
>
> p.s.: In the documentation for the "instance id" it says
> "Default value is 0 unless OSPFv3-AF extended address families are used,
> see RFC 5838 for that case." And further above it says that RFC5838 is
> enabled by default.
>
> However shouldn't it be 64 in case of an ipv4 channel in ospf according
> to rfc5838?

This is just a terminology detail - it means for basic AF (i.e. IPv6)
default is 0, for OSPFv3-AF extended AFs (e.g. IPv4) default are values
from RFC 5838 (e.g. 64).