route export number discrepancy

Ondrej Zajicek santiago at crfreenet.org
Tue Feb 5 15:35:02 CET 2019

On Sun, Feb 03, 2019 at 09:14:21AM +0200, michal.nowak at lnk.ro wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 02, 2019 at 02:50:39PM +0300, Ondrej Zajicek wrote:
>
> > This is likely just integer overflow during counter decrease, it is
> > mostly harmless. We will see how to fix it.
>
> Hi Ondrej, thanks for quick response, and yes I agree that its mostly harmless,
> yet it upsets our monitoring, so I need to get to the bottom of it at some point.
>

> > But more people wanted it back and it seems that we can redefine it to
> > both fit to per-channel stats and be less confusing (by counting best
> > routes in adjacent routing table only), so it is back in the devel
> > code in git, with slightly different meaning.
>
> OK, I see that commit, but that would not display preferred counters if
> the 'keep filtered' is enabled on a given protocol.

Thanks, that was oversight.

>   if (c->in_keep_filtered)
>     cli_msg(-1006, "    Routes:         %u imported, %u filtered, %u exported",
> 	    s->imp_routes, s->filt_routes, s->exp_routes);
>   else
>     cli_msg(-1006, "    Routes:         %u imported, %u exported, %u preferred",
> 	    s->imp_routes, s->exp_routes, s->pref_routes);
>

> My preference would be to print out all the 4 counters (including 0 for filtered
> if disabled), and the rationale behind this idea is that this would allow for at least
> some degree of backwards compatibility with scripts that used to parse the Routes line
> in bird 1.6 deployments, which again for reference used to look like this:

No, BIRD 1.6.x does not print out 'filtered' when 'keep filtered' is
disabled. So for compatibility it would make sense to not print it
either. Also reporting 0 does not make sense as there may be routes that
were filtered, we just do not have information to know how many.