i-bgp neighbor not coming up

Shahan Agha shahan.agha92 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 24 16:07:19 CET 2019

Hi All,

I am facing something very strange from almost a week now. I have multiple
i-bgp neighbors which are working just fine.

# birdc show protocols
bgp_r4 BGP      master   up     2019-01-21  Established
bgp_r3 BGP      master   up     2019-01-21  Established
*bgp_r2 BGP      master   start  15:04:30    Active        Socket:
Connection refused*

There as in issue with only one of them. It did work initially but for some
reason it is now down since a few days. I have tried everything in my
knowledge but have failed to bring it to work again.

Below are the configurations:

# R-1 #
protocol bgp bgp_r1 {
        # disabled;
        debug { states, routes, filters, interfaces, events };
        router id 10.10.2.1;
        local as 65001;
        neighbor 10.10.2.2 as 65001;
        next hop self;
        direct;
}

# R-2 #
protocol bgp bgp_r2 {
        # disabled;
        debug { states, routes, filters, interfaces, events };
        router id 10.10.2.2;
        local as 65001;
        neighbor 10.10.2.1 as 65001;
        next hop self;
        direct;
}

Any idea what can be the possible reason behind this?

Thanks,
Shahan