Limitation on stubnet prefixes

Andre Cunha andre_novaes at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 26 15:32:04 CEST 2019

Thanks Ondrej, that makes sense.  Is there a way to add routes on the fly then, instead of putting them all in the config file? Or any other suggestion on how I could generate 50000 type-1 LSA.

Regards
Andre

On 26/07/2019, 12:32, "Ondrej Zajicek" <santiago at crfreenet.org> wrote:

    On Fri, Jul 26, 2019 at 10:49:31AM +0200, Andre Cunha wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > Is there a limit on the number of stubnet prefixes that we can configure?  I have configured 50000 stubnets but my router receives only 1084 routes.

    Hello

    Yes, stubnet prefixes are announced as a part of the Router-LSA, with
    12 B per prefix. With 16bit Router-LSA length, the limit is about 5400
    Router-LSA entries (including other entries than just stubnets). But note
    that having such large Router-LSA may cause many problems, including OSPF
    packet fragmentation, so i would generally suggest to not have larger
    Router-LSA than MTU, i.e. not more than ~100 entries.

    This length limit is not enforced in BIRD, if you configure more
    stubnets, the Router-LSA with length modulo 64k is generated, which
    may be invalid. I should add some check and warning there.

    External routers are announced as separate External-LSAs, so there is no
    such limit for them.