bird 2.0.4 - should "protocol rpki" be recognised?

Marco van Tol marco at tols.org
Fri Mar 8 17:42:03 CET 2019

Hi there,

I'm trying to setup a router with RPKI checks.

I'm using BIRD version 2.0.4.

I was checking the documentation here:
https://bird.network.cz/?get_doc&v=20&f=bird-6.html#ss6.13

When I put the following in my config, I get the error message:
/etc/bird.conf:32:10 syntax error, unexpected SYM

Line 32 is the line with "protocol rpki" on it.

This is a copy/paste from the relevant part of the config:
-----< cut here >-----
roa4 table r4;
roa6 table r6;

protocol rpki {
{
    roa4 { table r4; };
    remote "myhost.domain"
    transport ssh {
        bird private key "/root/.ssh/rpki_validator"
        remote public key "/root/.ssh/known_hosts"
        user "rpki"
    };
}
-----< cut here >-----

What I also noticed is that when I type "show ?" in birdc, it does not list the roa option.

Do I need to specify certain commandline options to enable rpki perhaps?  Just thinking outloud. :-)

Many thanks in advance,

Marco van Tol