bird version 2.0.4 - peering with cisco version ios xe 16.3.5 - invalid open message

Marco van Tol marco at tols.org
Mon Mar 11 09:44:16 CET 2019

Op 11 mrt. 2019, om 02:55 heeft Ondrej Zajicek <santiago at crfreenet.org> het volgende geschreven:
> On Fri, Mar 08, 2019 at 04:09:58PM +0100, Marco van Tol wrote:

>>> Hi
>>>
>>> That is defined by cmdline options, so they are probably missing in the .service file.
>>
>> Ah right, okay thanks.

>>> That is unlikely as that does not change OPEN message.
>>>
>>> Could you try 2.0.4 with 'long lived graceful restart off;' option?
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> This fixed it.  I added this option only to the cisco neighbors which made them accept peering.
>>
>> Much appreciated, and let me know when you need more information from me.
>
> Hi

Hi

> What version of Cisco is that?

What I wrote in the subject and the first message, ios xe 16.3.5 :-)
If you need more info in this area let me know.  I have close to no experience with Cisco, but I have someone around who does.

> Could you try if you get the same result with 1.6.6?

The sessions come up with version 1.6.4.  Is that good enough or do you need me to try with 1.6.6?

> Could you save the failed session initiation attempt by tcpdump?
> (e.g. tcpdump -s 0 -w file.pcap ...)

I can but I would like to exchange the file personally rather than on this list.
Do you have a proposal on how to exchange the file?

Thanks!

Marco van Tol

P.S. About my other message about the "protocol rpki" on centos 7, the exact same config file works fine on a "BIRD on FreeBSD" system, so I assume that means I have the syntax okay :-)

--
Marco van Tol