How to update from v1.6 to v2.0

Maria Jan Matejka jan.matejka at nic.cz
Mon Mar 11 11:51:30 CET 2019

Hello!

> Would I need to uninstall v1.6 or could update the version by simply steps?
Generally, you don't need to uninstall v1.6. These are anyway conflicting
in all distributions I'm aware of.

> For v1.6 un-installation, would you mind providing me the steps? or
> would you please providing me the upgrading steps?

If you have BIRD from package manager, use it.

Otherwise, you may want to remove the old binaries and maybe some PID file
or socket file, which depends on how you run BIRD.

The most difficult step is upgrading the config file as these are not
compatible, yet quite similar. The most notable change is the channel concept,
see section 2.3 of docs:
https://bird.network.cz/?get_doc&v=20&f=bird-2.html#ss2.3

Maria