Simple two bird BGPs two Uplinks one Peering Provider config

Ondrej Zajicek santiago at crfreenet.org
Mon May 20 20:42:33 CEST 2019

On Mon, May 20, 2019 at 05:17:08PM +0000, Yves Illi wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I am really new to the complete topic of BGP. So please have a bit mercy with me if I ask something very stupid. But I am trying to build that for the first time ever and I am feeling like a donkey in front of a big mountain.
>
> Last but not least it is currently running, but I guess its more luck than something else. Like I said I am completely new to the topic of BGP. What I don't get is how I configure them together so they work (as a HA-Cluster) and currently I can only route a.b.c.249/29 instead of a.b.c.0/22.

Hi

> protocol static static_bgp {
>   ipv4;
>   route a.b.c.0/22 via d.e.f.124;
> }

I think this is the problem, as d.e.f.124 is your local address, then
this route is probably not allowed locally (because you should not have
route directing to a local address) and therefore likely not propagated
to BGP.

Simple solution is to have the static route defined as unreachable route:

  route a.b.c.0/22 unreachable;

You would have more specific routes in the routing table anyways and when
the unreachable route is propagated by BGP, the local address will be
attached as next hop automatically.