Hardware Server requirements for building up BIRD

Cybertinus bird at cybertinus.nl
Tue May 28 08:32:21 CEST 2019

Hello Isaac,

The network I'm maintaining has the following amounts of BGP sessions:

# birdc show status | head -n 1
BIRD 1.6.4 ready.
# birdc show protocols | wc -l
216
# birdc6 show protocols | wc -l
211

The specifications of this router:
Dell R610
2x Intel Xeon E5520
24 GB RAM

The current load on it:
# free -m
              total        used        free      shared  buff/cache
available
Mem:          24102        2602       18968         266        2531
 20822
Swap:          2447           0        2447
# uptime
 06:26:57 up 13 days, 13:02,  1 user,  load average: 0.17, 0.13, 0.10

So, basically it is old crap hardware (this server is easily 10 years
old) and it takes the load with ease. So if you double the amount of BGP
sessions, I wouldn't worry if you buy new hardware.

Kind regards,
 Cybertinus