Help with SNMP for BIRD

Michal Nowak michal.nowak at lnk.ro
Tue May 28 11:19:35 CEST 2019

Hi Glenn,

There is also bird-snmp-agent that works with LibreNMS out of the box if you are looking for something quick.

While I am not sure who the original author was as there were multiple copies of the package on both web and github - I've added support for bird2 and some quality (or so I like to think) documentation.

https://github.com/mikenowak/bird-snmp-agent

The only caveat is that IPv6 BGP sessions can not be currently monitored, as BGP4-MIB does not have support for IPv6.

I've researched a possibility to include support for BGP4-V2-MIB which includes IPv6 peers support, but at the time we had limited interest in IPv6 - so that never got done.

I also recall that there were changes required to LibreNMS to get BGP4-V2-MIB working.

If you are not necessary limited to Nagios (Barry's reply) or LibreNMS (the above) then you may also consider prometheus exporter for bird by Daniel Czerwonk - https://github.com/czerwonk/bird_exporter

HTH,
Michal