Multisite BGP - One site behind OpenVPN

Michael McConnell michael at winkstreaming.com
Sun Sep 1 19:37:09 CEST 2019

Thank you for your thoughtful answer. It appears I didn’t ask a very good question though :)

The reason for the VPN is because the satellite site doesn’t have an option for BGP and only has 1 public IP available and we need about 40. The extra latency associated with the tunnel isn’t to much of a concern, really we just want the public IP’s at the other site and thankfully the main site has excessive bandwidth available.

The reason for the /23 announcement I feel is to get it out onto the internet, and then the individual /24 on the satellite site to make the routing simpler to configure, no? I think if I just do a /24 and /24 at main and satellite site I will need to get fancy in terms of how I configure Bird to forward the data?

The real issue is the ISP’s just don’t want to cooperate at all, all in the area see BGP as some sort of scary and mysterious thing…

Anyhow, thanks again for your time.
Mike

--
Michael McConnell