Stack overflow in RFC 8203 BGP admin. shutdown comm. handling since 7ff34ca2

Daniel McCarney cpu at letsencrypt.org
Sun Sep 8 23:54:35 CEST 2019

Hi Ondrej,

Thanks for the quick response.

> Unfortunately it has been included in released versions 1.6.7 and 2.0.5.

Bummer, apologies for missing that. Do you want to request a CVE or should I?

> It is unnecessary with draft-rfc8203bis, as all possible lengths are permitted.

That makes sense. In retrospect my patch will clearly reject messages
that have a permitted length and isn't a suitable fix.

> For the stack buffer, the proper fix seems to be just enlarge it to fit max-size message

That makes sense and I agree makes a better fix. Thanks for your
patience/explanation.

> The stack overflow seems limited, i would like to check what exactly is overwritten when built with normal settings.

Agreed. I spent a little bit of time thinking about exploitation
conditions given the limited control and while I wasn't able to come
up with anything practical myself on x86_64 there is evidence[0] of
similarly limited vulnerabilities producing RCE when those skilled in
that particular dark art dedicate their attention to the matter.

[0]: https://googleprojectzero.blogspot.com/2014/08/the-poisoned-nul-byte-2014-edition.html