stupid question about OSPF cost and route preference

Ondrej Zajicek santiago at crfreenet.org
Tue Apr 7 16:06:15 CEST 2020

On Tue, Apr 07, 2020 at 06:41:37PM +0500, Eugene M. Zheganin wrote:
> Hello.
>
> I have a bunch of birder routers, and the troublesome router is connected to
> some of them via LAN and to some of them via WAN tunnels.
>
> For some reason it always chooses a WAN route, regardless of it's metric:

Hello

gif1 and vlan57 are in different areas, that is something that is likely
relevant. What you get from 'show ospf state'? Where (which area) is
192.168.57.254? How internal routes for 192.168.57.254 looks if you
enable/disable gif1?

There are some area-based rules (prefer internal to inter-area routes)
that have higher priority to just OSPF cost comparison.