Bird 2.x / OSPF v3 over ptp tunnels

Bastien Durel bastien+bird at durel.org
Tue Feb 11 17:52:29 CET 2020

Hello.

I have some sites linked via wiregard tunnels, and exchanging route
information with OSPF, using bird (mostly)
One of my routers is running bird 2.0.7, while others runs 1.6.6 (due
to different distributions)

All OSPF v2 is running well, with configs like :

		interface "wg-*" {
			type ptp;
		};

OSPFv3 runs fine between bird 1.6 routers, but it does not with the
bird 2.0 one.

Here is its config :

protocol ospf v3 ospfv3 {
	ipv6 {};
	area 0 {
		interface "eth*" { stub; };
		interface "wg*" { type ptp; cost 20; stub no; };
	};
}

Alas, it does not send any Hello packets on links. The remote routers
do send their hellos, but they are ignored.

It looks like bird put these interfaces in stub mode :

linux3:/etc# birdc show ospf in ospfv3
BIRD 2.0.7 ready.
ospfv3:
Interface eth0 (IID 0)
	Type: broadcast
	Area: 0.0.0.0 (0)
	State: Waiting (stub)
	Cost: 10
	ECMP weight: 1
	Hello timer: 10
	Wait timer: 40
	Dead timer: 40
	Retransmit timer: 5
	Designated router (ID): 0.0.0.0
	Designated router (IP): ::
	Backup designated router (ID): 0.0.0.0
	Backup designated router (IP): ::
Interface wg4b (IID 0)
	Type: ptp
	Area: 0.0.0.0 (0)
	State: PtP (stub)
	Cost: 20
	ECMP weight: 1
	Hello timer: 10
	Wait timer: 40
	Dead timer: 40
	Retransmit timer: 5
Interface wg4a (IID 0)
	Type: ptp
	Area: 0.0.0.0 (0)
	State: PtP (stub)
	Cost: 20
	ECMP weight: 1
	Hello timer: 10
	Wait timer: 40
	Dead timer: 40
	Retransmit timer: 5

With OSPF v2, it does not :

linux3:/etc# birdc show ospf in ospfv2
BIRD 2.0.7 ready.
ospfv2:
Interface wg4b (peer 172.16.101.21)
	Type: ptp
	Area: 0.0.0.0 (0)
	State: PtP
	Cost: 200
	ECMP weight: 1
	Hello timer: 10
	Wait timer: 40
	Dead timer: 40
	Retransmit timer: 5
Interface wg4a (peer 172.16.101.17)
	Type: ptp
	Area: 0.0.0.0 (0)
	State: PtP
	Cost: 200
	ECMP weight: 1
	Hello timer: 10
	Wait timer: 40
	Dead timer: 40
	Retransmit timer: 5

These interfaces have some IPv6 addresses, as it's needed for bird
communications :

7: wg4b: <POINTOPOINT,NOARP,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1420 state UNKNOWN qlen 1000
    inet6 fe80::3/128 scope link
       valid_lft forever preferred_lft forever
8: wg4a: <POINTOPOINT,NOARP,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1420 state UNKNOWN qlen 1000
    inet6 fe80::3/128 scope link
       valid_lft forever preferred_lft forever

Do you have tips on how to make them work ?

Thanks,

--
Bastien