Fwd: Rip is not working

preetamjain preetamjain at bel.co.in
Mon Feb 17 11:07:10 CET 2020

-------- Original Message --------

 		SUBJECT:
 		Rip is not working

 		DATE:
 		2020-02-17 15:30

 		FROM:
 		preetamjain <preetamjain at bel.co.in>

 		TO:
 		bird-users at network.cz

Hi ,

I am new and exploring bird routing daemon.

I am using bird 1.6.4 and updated to bird 2.0 as well.

I have successfully installed bird on ubuntu 18.04 and configured the
bird.conf

with rip configuration

# Router ID in IPv4 format
router id 62.168.0.1;

# Load device information from kernel.
protocol device {}

# Generate direct routes for interfaces. Useful on BSD.
protocol direct {
    ipv4;
    disabled;
}

protocol direct {
    ipv6;
    disabled;
}

# Feed routes to kernel FIB
protocol kernel {
    ipv4 { export all; import all; };
    learn;            # Learn all routes from the kernel
#    scan time 10;        # Scan kernel tables every 10 seconds
}

protocol kernel {
    ipv6 { import all; };
    learn;
}

protocol rip {
    ipv4{
interface "ensp011";
interface "ens025:;
}
}

This has made my PC a switch with 2 interfaces , where i have connected
to cisco switch with two ports in RIP configuration.
The network in updating in my PC where bird is installed but rip is not
getting updated on cisco because bird is not sending response packets

If I enbale OSPF on the interface is it is fine, i.e RIP protocol works
only if OSPF is enabled on the same interface as RIP interface

Please guide