BGP repropagation practices on not well known attributes

Mattia Milani mattia.milani at studenti.unitn.it
Thu Feb 27 22:16:38 CET 2020

Hello bird users, I'm sorry to bother you but I have a question about
the implementation of a piece of the RFC 4271 that I found a little bit
fuzzy.

I'm in a eBGP situation and suppose that I have more connections with
other different AS peers.
Giving the fact that my import and export filters are completely open
for simplicity and that I accept optional attributes.

When I receive an UPDATE where it changes only a optional transitive
argument that i do not know I re-propagate the UPDATE to my other
connections as like a well known mandatory argument is changed?

So my general question is, how Bird handle optional transitive
attributes that a peer does not know?

Thanks in advance, and sorry again to bother you,
Mattia