BIRD drops specific IPv6 session for no reason

Stavros Konstantaras stavros.konstantaras at ams-ix.net
Fri Feb 28 15:33:06 CET 2020

HI Alarig,

Thank you for sharing your experiences. I don’t have the MSS currently but if that was the case, wouldn’t have experienced the drops more frequently?
Currently it happens once per month (or 0.8 per month) and contrary to your case which was 100% network related, in our case we don’t even see the
reply packet being generated and leaving the box.

What puzzles me also and based on the capture, is that I don’t see the TCP-ACK messages being sent to the customer. If BIRD opens a TCP socket
(not a simple RAW socket), I assume that the TCP connection will be handled by the OS and BIRD will push data segments (BGP keep alive messages) when ready.

But as per output, I don’t see the TCP ack messages at all. Is BIRD handling the TCP communication as well?

But good point the MSS, I will try to check it as well in the next incident. Thanks

Best regards,

Stavros Konstantaras | Sr. Network Engineer | AMS-IX
M +31 (0) 620 89 51 04 | T +31 20 305 8999
ams-ix.net