Proper way to start Bird

Alexander Zubkov green at qrator.net
Sun Mar 22 09:55:26 CET 2020

Yes, you get connection refused. That generally means that bird daemon
is not listening to the socket. May be something strange has happened.
Check who may be listening to the socket:
netstat -nap | grep bird.ctl
You'll see the process if any. If nothing is there, then try to run
bird daemon again - it should not give an error, you can also try to
delete the socket file. If you would still receive an error during
daemon startup and you see no obvious problems like permissions, etc,
than you can try to run bird daemon under strace to see where it
fails.