KRT: Error sending route xxxx/46 to kernel: File exists

Bernd Naumann bena at spreadshirt.net
Mon Mar 23 11:42:28 CET 2020

On 21.03.20 22:11, Christoph wrote:
> Hi,
>
> we get this error about 7 times an hour on a BGP router running BIRD
> 2.0.7 on FreeBSD:
>
> <ERR> KRT: Error sending route xxxx/46 to kernel: File exists
>

> Is this something we should look into?
>
> thanks!

Hi Christoph,

This indicates that the route is already resent in the FIB of the OS.
Check if you have `learn` enable in `protocol kernel` or not. Maybe the
routes comes from `post-up` or similar, or i.e. keepalived or any other
routing daemon, but bird is not aware of it via its own routing table.

So check where this route comes from, and evaluate if it is intended
this way.

Best,
Bernd