Bird on Scientific Linux

Robert Scheck bird at robert-scheck.de
Sat Mar 28 23:53:55 CET 2020

Hello Fabiano,

On Sat, 28 Mar 2020, Fabiano D'Agostino wrote:
> It was 'some' errors. When I do 'make' and 'make install' I get this errors:
> https://pastebin.com/DnLjC36T

as Ondrej already mentioned, the GCC 4.4 shipped by CentOS 6 is too old (as
I said before, CentOS 6 reaches end of lifetime in November 2020) to build
BIRD 2.0.7 as I had to learn (while trying to maintain BIRD 2.x for EPEL 6
repo): http://trubka.network.cz/pipermail/bird-users/2019-August/013634.html

In RHEL 6 and CentOS 6, you could get e.g. GCC 8 via the Devtoolset 8, but
I don't know if Scientific Linux contains SCLs. On CentOS 6 this works like
this:

 - yum install centos-release-scl
 - yum install devtoolset-8
 - scl enable devtoolset-8 bash
 - "gcc" is now version 8, thus building BIRD 2.0.7 should work now

Btw, it seems "yum install centos-release-scl" for Scientific Linux 6 is
this (untested) - and it uses CentOS 6 SCL packages under the hood:

  - wget http://ftp.scientificlinux.org/linux/scientific/6/external_products/softwarecollections/yum-conf-softwarecollections-2.0-1.el6.noarch.rpm
  - yum localinstall yum-conf-softwarecollections-2.0-1.el6.noarch.rpm

However I'm not keen to assist with above scenario. I highly recommend to
move to CentOS 8 as soon as possible (once you are on 2.0.7, this would be
IMHO a good next step).

Regards,
  Robert