[BGP] bird and RFD

Mattia Milani mattia.milani at studenti.unitn.it
Tue May 26 18:29:59 CEST 2020

Hello all, I was wondering if bird implements the RFD procedure, route
flap damping.

I was looking online on the user guide 2.0 but i didn't find any
reference to it.
I know it is a controversial point, it was presented in the RFC 2439 and
then RIPE-378 recommends disabling it thanks to a paper presented in
2002 (Route Flap Damping Exacerbates Internet RoutingConvergence).
In 2015 IETF publishes BCP 194 with RFD recommendations.

I think could be an interesting parameter for some experiments, so is in
the future plans of bird to implement it?
What do you think about it?

Thanks,
Mattia