MultiBird on L2 - A crazy idea for Fail Over y and Load Balancing

Douglas Fischer fischerdouglas at gmail.com
Tue Jan 19 22:01:14 CET 2021

Vertical Scalability of Route-Servers on very large IXP is a challenge!
We are talking about 400-2200 peers...
https://ixpdb.euro-ix.net/en/ixpdb/ixps/?sort=participants&reverse=1&

As already mentioned, Bird still does not deal very well with
multi-threading(even on version 2).
So, for that, threads with more gigahertz are better de several threads.

In Bird's world, the solution for that is the MultiBird.
That solution is explained here:
 ->
https://www.euro-ix.net/media/filer_public/40/8b/408bd0bb-6835-4807-8677-0a1961bd3fba/flock-of-birds_ljtmypd.pdf
 -> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwRwF7Bu8as
    In pt_BR, but I believe that if you activate the automatic subtitles
and automatic translation to your language will be enough to understand.

What I'm proposing here is just a different method of doing
multiple instances of Bird, with the possibility of those being on
diferente boxes, or even different sites.