BIRD Journey to Threads: Chapter zero of a blogpost series

Douglas Fischer fischerdouglas at gmail.com
Mon Mar 15 18:07:44 CET 2021

Hello, Maria and everyone on the list...
This is Great News! I'm so happy to receive that mail!

That part about "Filter Rework" made me a bit anxious!
I don't know exactly means the part:
 "we decided to preprocess the filter internal structure to another
structure which is much easier to execute"...
But, to me, it sounds like fragmenting, even more, the "test, mark, and
actuate" on the filters... Right?

Talking about BGP, I love Bird because only with it I know how to do what I
call "2 cycles filtering"...

- I create several Small Tests, where each route is tested and marked
somehow...
- On each Peer-Type, import or export(but mostly on import), and I define
which tests will be called to be executed on that route, and live their
mark on each route.
  - I here I test, Mask-lenght, AS-Set, AS-Origin, AS-Path,
foreigner-communities, internal-communities, a lot of Regex, and all those
multiple complex things...
- And at the end of the filter-police I do an "IF" that tests on a combined
And+Or the marks lived by the previous tests, and based on that do the
accept, reject, add-communities, adjust MED/Local-Pref/Etc...

That thing with "Lua scripts" that you mentioned, would be something like
what I described?

Thanks in advance!

--
Douglas Fernando Fischer