ignore max length as an argument of roa_check

Ondrej Zajicek santiago at crfreenet.org
Tue Mar 30 16:22:07 CEST 2021

On Tue, Mar 30, 2021 at 10:04:08AM -0300, Douglas Fischer wrote:
> It does make sense! A LOT!
>
> It is the only way I see that is possible to use RPKI as a source of
> information to validate RTBH with the available information existent now.
>
> P.S.: I even mentioned some about that on SIDROPS
> https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/msg/sidrops/vbfKT9yduwAtTNQVBoc5KCRPkmM/

Hi

I am not sure if the RPKI is reasonable way to validate RTBH. We have a
request to implement check that ignores max length, so we did it in a way
that was the least intrusive (which is in RPKI instead of in filtering
code, although i suppose it could be done also there), but i still have
doubts about its usefulness and i would like to get opinions of others
about that. Here are my comments:

Let's assume an IXP has member A who has customer B, who propagates some
address range. Who is responsible for originating blackhole route for IP
addres from such range propagated to the IXP? As i understood RFC 7999,
received blackhole routes are not propagated further (due to NO_ADVERTISE
or NO_EXPORT), therefore such blackhole route has to be originated by
member A. Which means its AS_PATH whould end with ASN A and even loose
RPKI check would fail, because RPKI record specifies prefix range owned
by B. The workaround would be that member A could forge ASNs in AS_PATH
to end with ASN B, but that is not a good idea.

Or let's assume that an IXP has members A and B that both connect
customer C and propagate its address range to the IXP. There are two
routes for that range, let's assume that route through A is more
preferred. But if member B generated blackhole route for IP address from
such range, then such blackhole would be active even if associated route
is less preferred to route from member A.

My conclusion is that proper validation for blackhole routes should
follow the same logic as validating flowspec rules, i.e. a blackhole
route should be considered valid if received from the same router/AS who
is next hop for selected covering route. With this rule, RPKI validation
of blackhole routes is pointless, as they are implicitly validated by
validating covering route.