Bird 3.0 Benefits

Cybertinus bird at cybertinus.nl
Wed Apr 5 09:25:46 CEST 2023

Hello Jesse,

For me the main advantage of Bird 3.0 is that it will support multicore
for BGP sessions. Currently (both Bird 1.6 and 2.0) process BGP messages
on a single core, which can be a performance bottleneck. The last time
when I got new routers I picked routers with a very high single core
process speed, not a lot of cores. Specifically for this reason. But
going to multicore with Bird would be great!

Currently Bird 3.0 is in alpha state, specifically 3.0alpha0 is the
current release, they are working on a second 3.0 alpha release, called
3.0alpha1. So, it is all still in early development. Running it in
production is thus not recommended, but testing with it will be
appreciated by the Bird project.

Kind regards,
Cybertinus