Potential issue in RIP: missing handing rtes in rip_receive_request

Ondrej Zajicek santiago at crfreenet.org
Mon Apr 24 03:36:18 CEST 2023

On Sun, Apr 23, 2023 at 07:37:02PM -0400, Mingwei Zheng wrote:
> Hi,
>  I am doing testing work on network protocols and there is one possible issue I noticed in RIP:
>   When packet command is RIP_CMD_UPDATE_REQUEST, the protocol will call function rip_receive_request to respond to request called from rip_rx_hook.
>
>    In RFC2453: https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/rfc2453#section-3.9.1
>
>    However in the function rip_receive_request, it seems that only one rte is examined.

Hi

We handle only the special case:

   There is one special case.  If there is exactly
   one entry in the request, and it has an address family identifier of
   zero and a metric of infinity (i.e., 16), then this is a request to
   send the entire routing table.

That is a case used by routing daemons to trigger full table update,
while the generic route request was used just for monitoring and is
obsolete.