New to routing: what protocol do I need?

Kevin P. Fleming lists.bird-users at kevin.km6g.us
Tue Apr 25 19:12:13 CEST 2023

On Tue, Apr 25, 2023, at 12:40, Alessandro Vesely wrote:
> I don't know what protocol I need.  It is a new question.  I should
> know what protocol is using the next hop on ppp0 (default gw).  I'm not
> even sure what IPv6 hosts are out there; traceroute shows nothing.
> Running traceroute from an external site I find that, wherever the
> trace starts from, it falls into a loop:

It might be best to back up a bit here. Can you describe the scenario: what is the network topology, and what requirements are placed on you by any upstream or downstream networks? In addition to those, what are your goals in using Bird?

Bird does not actually *route* traffic at all, please keep that in mind. It is a routing table (FIB) manager, with a little bit of extra functionality for IPv6 Router Advertisements and some other bits. It gathers route information from a variety of sources, combines it together in the ways you tell it to, and then publishes some (or all) of it to the destinations you configure.

Since it may not even be the right tool for the problem you are trying to solve, it would be helpful if you could describe the problem first. With that information the Bird user community can suggest ways Bird might be applicable, if it is.