kernel: does not learn routes with RTPROT_KERNEL

Pavel Šorejs mail at sorejs.eu
Wed Aug 23 14:12:49 CEST 2023

Hi

i have following problem - the kernel protocol ignores routes with
RTPROT_KERNEL source. Is there some particular reason why this is so?

Why am i asking? I use BIRD in linux container orchestration context
(Kubernetes) in conjunction with cilium project (https://cilium.io/).
Lately they discovered, that systemd likes to mess with their routes and
did a change to insert their routes with RTPROT_KERNEL source flag. This
way, systemd doesn't try to mess with their routes. Side effect of this
is that my installation got broken as BIRD ignores such routes. Now i
don't know where to start - either they are wrong with using
RTPROT_KERNEL flag in the first place, or BIRD is wrong by ignoring such
routes. So i am trying here first.

Also there was some discussion in the past
https://bird.network.cz/pipermail/bird-users/2013-August/008519.html,
which just died.

Do anybody have some suggestions?

Thank You