hardware preference

David S. david at zeromail.us
Fri Aug 25 10:53:50 CEST 2023

Hi,

I have been using FreeBSD 10 and Bird since the beginning and recently
upgraded my FreeBSD to 13.2 and Bird 2.0.13.1. I'm using a Dell R630 with
dual Intel E5-2680v4, Memory 32GB, and Solarflare SFN7122 Onload (a pretty
old card).

FreeBSD 13 had a lot of improvements on its routing stack and the bridge
drivers and never had serious problems with it. My router receives full
routes from 2 internet upstream and a few local exchanges; the traffic is
about 5-10 Gbps during the peak load.

I'm sure you already know that FreeBSD also has Netmap, which works great
with an Intel X520 card. ;)

Best regards,
David S.
e. david at zeromail.us