aggregate routes in bird

Maria Matejka maria.matejka at nic.cz
Sat Feb 4 19:56:57 CET 2023

Hello!

On 2/3/23 13:05, Juliusz Chroboczek wrote:
>>> Thanks for the answer! I hope it's not too annoying when I ask, however
>>> I can not find any information about this online: Are there also plans
>>> to implement the Babel RTT extension?
>
>> The core team doesn't have this in current plans. As there is no RFC for
>> this yet, it's under my radar.
>
> I am planning to work on the RFC starting next week, so this is the right
> time to send me comments on the RTT extension.  The current draft is at
>
>    https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-ietf-babel-rtt-extension-00

I've just read this draft and I must say that it looks nice, simple and
clean.

My suggestion: to explicitly state how the timestamp rollover happens,
e.g. that exactly one microsecond after 2**32-1 there is always
timestamp of zero. As this happens quite often (every ~1h11min), it IMHO
deserves an explicit definition.

Maybe another question is about interoperability and setting, e.g. when
there are some nodes capable of RTT and others not using this extension.
Example situations include:

* one node requests RTT and the other knows about this extension but
doesn't have it allowed
* one node requests RTT and the other doesn't implement this extension
* whether it is OK to setup RTT for some links and default (hello
statistics) for others -- I'd suppose that RFC 8966 / 3.4.3 says yes

BTW the draft states that it updates 6126 which is outdated.

Thank you for working on Babel improvements!

Maria