Binding to some interfaces only for multihop bgp

Sebastian Hahn bird_users at sebastianhahn.net
Mon Feb 20 01:39:28 CET 2023

Hi Ondrej,

> On 19. Feb 2023, at 19:02, Sebastian Hahn <bird_users at sebastianhahn.net> wrote:

>>> I get the following error:
>>>
>>> Multihop BGP cannot be bound to interface
>>
>> Hi
>>
>> The strict bind option is not really related to interface, but to local
>> IP (because binding to interface really means binding to its IP). Just do
>> not use inteface option, while keep strict bind enabled and local IP set.
>
> For each BGP connection I have a separate interface and I am wondering
> how I would deal with this suggestion then. I think it would mean a
> separate unique IP for each neighbour, assigned to the interface, yes?

I have to apologize, it works just as you described. When I tried earlier,
I had received an error about being unable to open a listening socket,
but this was, I assume, due to reloading bird instead of restarting. I
had assumed that this was because bird tried to open the same socket
once for each protocol, but it does not.

Thanks
Sebastian