LDP and Bird

Ondrej Zajicek santiago at crfreenet.org
Sat Jan 7 03:54:15 CET 2023

On Fri, Jan 06, 2023 at 11:42:26PM +0100, Pim van Pelt via Bird-users wrote:
> Hoi folks,
>
> I work on VPP (a fast userspace based dataplane implementation
> https://fd.io/), and helped contribute the ability for this dataplane to
> consume Netlink messages (github.com/pimvanpelt/lcpng)
> One thing that I've been asked about quite a bit is the ability to program
> the VPP dataplane with MPLS forwarding. I use Bird2 in my own deployment (
> https://ipng.ch/s/articles/2021/09/21/vpp-7.html) and was wondering what
> the current thinking is for Bird to support signalling with LDP. Last I saw
> was:

Hi

I would suggest to look at this:

https://bird.network.cz/pipermail/bird-users/2022-October/016362.html

It is improved support for MPLS in BIRD, with BGP signalling. Next plan
is to improve it a bit to make it ready for merging, and then probably
OSPF-SR (RFC 8665) for signalling. I do not want to promise anything
about LDP, at least not before we finalize previous steps.