Babel on a wireless mesh

Bernd Naumann bernd at kr217.de
Thu Jan 12 23:08:15 CET 2023

Hey *,

Because Babel popped up on the list, I want to use the opportunity to
drop a few questions I had over the last days...

On my small home-network I currently use OSPFv3 for IPv4 and IPv6 to
announce routes from Laptops and PCs, and the Router. (There are some
"dumb APs", too in the network but routing happens only on "the router"
and like I mentioned, PCs and Laptops. Some wired, some wireless only,
some both.)
Given the fact that both protocols, OSPFv3 and Babel, are using
multicast; would I "gain anything" switching to Babel? Right now I'm
only using OSPFv3 because I'm familiar with...

And what really puzzles me, and I don't find "useful" answers:
If I run a multicast based routing protocol on jittery wireless links,
do I need to "tune" multicast options for the wireless radio? And if so,
what options; to what value; based on what? (Regarding the multicast
radio options of the access points, I'm running OpenWrt.)

Thanks for pointers and hints.
Bernd

PS: Yes, I'm not even sure if I need to "tune" anything or not. Or what
to expect. But I would like to "get the picture".