Run bird from a container

Hugo Slabbert hugo.slabbert at menlosecurity.com
Fri Jan 20 04:47:29 CET 2023

If you're looking for vanilla BIRD, I'd package something myself, rather,
or https://hub.docker.com/r/pierky/bird/ if you want something
pre-packaged. The repo for that calico/bird image explicitly calls out:

> This is a fork of the BIRD internet routing daemon which provides the
following additional function used by Calico:
> * Support for routing using IP-in-IP

Its Dockerfile calls a /opt/bird-wrapper.sh entrypoint (
https://github.com/projectcalico/bird/blob/feature-ipinip/dist/amd64/birdy/bird-wrapper.sh),
which runs split IPv4/IPv6 daemons in bird 1.x style.

My previous gig ran BIRD in a custom container in a large distributed
environment for heavy production services.