Recursive nexthop via kernel route in proto static not working

Daniel Gröber dxld at darkboxed.org
Wed Jul 5 00:34:04 CEST 2023

Hi Maria,

So I just did a bird restart on the router I was testing on after poking
around some more and now the recursive route is suddenly working without a
change in config.

On Tue, Jun 27, 2023 at 09:50:14PM +0200, Maria Matejka wrote:
> this looks fishy. I tried a trivial config like this on my laptop as follows
> and it works. Could you please disclose the full table?

My master6 just has a full-table plus kernel/device routes. For some reason
before the restart all of them were "unreachable"[1] but now they seem to
resolve via the default route now. I didn't save the dump I did before the
restart unfortunately.

[1]: Not sure why, but it doesn't matter since I just use the BGP feed on
this router as a reflector and BGP routes are not exported to the kernel.

None of the BGP routes were covering :: (I checked with `route show for
::`) so I don't really see why `recursive ::` suddenly works now. I tried
this on another one of my routers that has a similar setup and it's also
working there.

I guess I'll just keep an eye on this for now.

> There are some details in the recursive nexthop resolution algorithm
> (preventing infinite resolution loops) which may apply to your case.

Can you point me to the right bits in the code so I can have a look?

> BTW, is there really no message in the log?

I don't see any log messages, but maybe my verbosity itn's high
enough. What options do I have to twiddle to make sure?

Thanks,
--Daniel