Bird considers the VRF interface to be outside the VRF

Erin Shepherd bird-users at erinshepherd.net
Tue Jul 18 12:25:41 CEST 2023

Bird only treats the interfaces enslaved to the VRF as part of the VRF, but not the VRF virtual interface itself. This means that e.g. OSPF won't pick up loopback addresses defined on the VRF interface itself. You have to additionally add a dummy interfaces with the IPs attached, which seems to cause some confusion of its own on the kernel side.

Ideally the VRF interfaces would be considered to be in the VRF.

I've attached a patch which fixes this; I don't think the design is quite right, and its possible I introduced some bugs, but in testing it seems to work fine

- Erin