Pending bird patches and discussions for proto/babel

Maria Matejka maria.matejka at nic.cz
Thu Jun 1 17:33:42 CEST 2023

Hello Daniel!

On 6/1/23 17:10, Daniel Gröber wrote:
> Hello birds,
>
> I just thought I'd put together an overview of as yet unresolved
> proto/babel patches and discussions to stimulate some activity :)
>
> Toke's RTT series:
>
> - lib/timer: Add current_time_now() function for immediate timestamp
> - babel: Add support for the RTT extension
> - babel: Add route metric smoothing
>
> My route selection revamp:
>
> - [v5] Babel: Replace internal route selection by bird's nest
> - [DRAFT] Babel: Implement route daming with fixed delay    (s/daming/damping/)
>
> Toke's first two patches are ready for merging, but the third (metric
> smoothing) is contested since it conflicts with my route selection patch in
> its current form and if adapted it conflicts with my scalability goals for
> babel instead. Possibly premature optimization admittedly ;)

We generally thought that the patches were still kinda work in progress,
sorry if our non-responsivity could be interpreted as negligence.

> Initially Toke was playing with the idea of exposing the smoothed metric to
> route filters in a followup patch. Me and Juliusz oppose this, for
> different reasons and the consensus is to not do that.
>
> My stance is that we could choose to merge smoothing as long as we don't
> expose it's implementation internals (the smoothed metric) to users. This
> way we can replace it with a more performant approach later.
>
> That being said since RTT metric is a new feature anyway I would prefer we
> just go with my route damping approach, mark RTT as experimental and get
> some more wider testing through a released version.
That looks like a feasible way to go. Shall we then just try to merge
these patches as they have been sent to the list?
> Lastly my v5 route selection patch should also be ready, all threads of
> discussion should be resolved and there are no known bugs. However I've not
> received any testing reports, hint, hint peeps °>°

OK, will look at it as well. Please send me an owl, a pigeon or another
avian carrier compatible with RFC 1149 if we don't react in a reasonable
time (est. a fortnight).

Thank you for improving Babel implementation in BIRD. We deeply
appreciate it.
Maria

--
Maria Matejka | BIRD Team Leader | CZ.NIC, z.s.p.o.