AdminDown is tearing down BGP session

Sunnat Samadov sunnat.samadov at est.tech
Sun Jun 4 20:06:22 CEST 2023

Dear Birds,

I am reaching out to seek assistance and guidance from the community regarding an issue we are facing with BIRD, specifically version 2.0.11, which we have been using in our network configuration.

Our setup involves configuring BIRD with BGP+BFD, where BIRD initiates the BGP session establishment. However, we have observed an unexpected behavior: after the BIRD daemon successfully establishes the BGP connection, router sends a BFD Admin-down message and requests a new BFD session. This action by router leads to BIRD transitioning to a BFD down state and tearing down the previously established BGP session.

According to RFC 5882, upon receiving BFD Admin down the BGP connection should not be terminated.

If anyone has encountered a similar situation, your guidance would be invaluable in helping us address this problem. Any suggestions, recommendations, or workarounds would be highly appreciated.

Best Regards,
Sunnat Samadov