peering between route reflectors

Benoit Chesneau benoitc at enki-multimedia.eu
Fri Jun 16 09:31:43 CEST 2023

Hi Douglas,

That's good advices, I have considered also using specific rr for customers connections, that's a good idea to use distinct nodes for it with 2 per regions...

However, my description of the issue was lacking some clarity. The purpose of the route reflectors there was to share the routing providing by the local transit to other pops as a backup.

I have the following infra: 3 POPS linked each others by 1 or more L2 links. Each POP has one or more transit links and different peers:

                R1
              /    \
             /      \
            R2 ---- R3

Each POP share its loopback using OSPF. The problem I

What I would like to do is the following:  when one POP has no more direct route (transit link down, route disabled, ...), it fallback to another pop to get the route

I was thinking to do it by having each node acting as  a route reflector to only share the current pop route to the others. Each nodes would reflect their route to each others.  Is there another pattern to do it? I think I found a way to fix possible conflicts by ensureing the backup has a lower pref. Are there any other consideration or patterns I could use?

Benoît