DHCPv6 PD server as client route originator (Was: iBGP RR IPv6 link-local next-hop not kept)

Daniel Gröber dxld at darkboxed.org
Wed Mar 1 02:30:11 CET 2023

Hi Mirai,

On Tue, Feb 28, 2023 at 02:57:54PM -0500, Mirai Azayaka wrote:
> I am trying to send routes from my DHCPv6 prefix delegation server to
> my router using iBGP. Those delegated prefix routes on the DHCPv6
> server are installed in its kernel table, such as 2001:db8:db8::/56
> via <client's link-local addr>.

Wow, that's actually a really interesting way to deploy DHCPv6 PD! I've
been researching how to deploy PD outside of the proprietary vendor
sandboxes recently (mainly still focusing on using DHCPv6 relays with route
snooping), but haven't found any good free-software options so far. Perhaps
your approach could be more viable for a small network like mine.

Would you mind elaborating on your setup a bit more?

Thanks,
--Daniel (AS212704)