Help with Route Reflector and BGP multipath.

Marek Zarychta zarychtam at plan-b.pwste.edu.pl
Fri Mar 3 15:53:15 CET 2023

W dniu 3.03.2023 o 14:30, Arnaud Houdelette-Langlois pisze:

> Hi.
>
> We are using bird for BGP/OSPF routing on our FreeBSD
> routers/firewalls for quite some time now.
>
> I'm trying to setup linux server load-balancing using ExaBGP, and bird
> as Route-Reflectors.
>
> Between the bird machines and linux servers, we got Force10 L3
> switchs, also setup as route-reflector clients.
>
> I have no problem setting up the BGP sessions, bird receives both
> routes from the 2 servers. But I can't manage to have the L3 switchs
> getting both routes in return.
>
> birdc's "show route export bgp_sw3" only shows one of the 2 routes.
>
> I tried enabling add-path without success. Maybe I'm missing something ?
>
> Thanks for your help.
>
> --
> Arnaud Houdelette-Langlois
> Administrateur des infrastructures systèmes et réseaux

BIRD under FreeBSD supports multipath, but not the standard rtsock
build. For achieving your aim you have to run BIRD 2.0.12 built with
bsd-netlink target[1]. Building and running netlink flavor of BIRD under
FreeBSD requires 13.2-RC1 or later.

[1] https://bird.network.cz/pipermail/bird-users/2022-December/016412.html

--
Marek Zarychta