BIRD continues exporting routes but reports no exports

Hugo Slabbert hugo.slabbert at menlosecurity.com
Fri Mar 3 18:24:17 CET 2023

Right, so,

I've gone ahead and enabled export tables on the channels for the relevant
peers, per Alexander's suggestion for possibly getting additional
visibility. I don't seem to spot any different views for route status,
though. I don't see any particular docs on how to *view* export tables;
does enabling export tables make a different view available to look at the
export table contents specifically? Or does it just shift the
behaviour so `show
route export <protocol>` displays the export table contents rather than a
point-in-time evaluation of export filters for the specified neighbor?

Snippet showing export tables config enabled for the peers:

```
template bgp GATEWAY_v6 {
    hold time 6;
    startup hold time 20;
    connect delay time 3;
    connect retry time 6;
    error wait time 3, 12;
    med metric;
    allow local as 1;

    local fdff::4:2 as MENLO_ASN;

    ipv6 {
        export table on;
        import filter GATEWAY_IMPORT_v6;
        export filter GATEWAY_EXPORT_v6;
    };
    ipv4 {
        export table on;
        extended next hop on;
        add paths rx;
        import filter GATEWAY_IMPORT_v4;
        export filter GATEWAY_EXPORT_v4;
    };
}
# ...
protocol bgp gw_085ea85_euwest2 from GATEWAY_v6 {
    neighbor fdff::8005:f4d1 as 65000;
}
```

I don't see any different behaviour on the affected hosts, though. E.g. a
host that just had `configure` called once after setting the draining flag
is showing these symptoms, showing nothing for `show route export
<protocol>`:

```
bird> show route export gw_085ea85_euwest2
bird>
```

...but still showing exports under the protocol details:

```
bird> show protocols all gw_085ea85_euwest2
Name       Proto      Table      State  Since         Info
gw_085ea85_euwest2 BGP        ---        up     2023-03-03 16:33:43
 Established
  BGP state:          Established
# ...
  Channel ipv6
    State:          UP
    Table:          master6
    Preference:     100
    Input filter:   GATEWAY_IMPORT_v6
    Output filter:  GATEWAY_EXPORT_v6
    Routes:         2 imported, 2 exported, 1 preferred
    Route change stats:     received   rejected   filtered    ignored
accepted
      Import updates:              3          0          1          0
   2
      Import withdraws:            0          0        ---          0
   0
      Export updates:            109          5         96        ---
   8
      Export withdraws:            2        ---        ---        ---
   2
    BGP Next hop:   fdff::4:2
  Channel ipv4
    State:          UP
    Table:          master4
    Preference:     100
    Input filter:   GATEWAY_IMPORT_v4
    Output filter:  GATEWAY_EXPORT_v4
    Routes:         12 imported, 1 exported, 0 preferred
    Route change stats:     received   rejected   filtered    ignored
accepted
      Import updates:             12          0          0          0
  12
      Import withdraws:            0          0        ---          0
   0
      Export updates:             39          4         31        ---
   4
      Export withdraws:            0        ---        ---        ---
   1
    BGP Next hop:   fdff::4:2
```

Note this is still on 2.0.7.  We've bumped some hosts to 2.0.10, but as
indicated in the previous message, just a simple restart clears this issue
from occurring.  We've enabled the export table config on both a 2.0.7 and
a 2.0.10 host, to be able to possibly spot if this reoccurs on the 2.0.10
host as well after a period. An example host on 2.0.7 showing this
behaviour has been up for ~2 weeks. The box upgraded to 2.0.10 has had BIRD
running for just ~16 hours at this point and is not yet showing any issues.