Expiration for ROA tables until when the VRP is valid?

Job Snijders job at fastly.com
Tue Mar 7 13:00:40 CET 2023

On Tue, Mar 07, 2023 at 12:52:16PM +0100, Ondrej Zajicek wrote:
> If i understand it correctly, it is relevant just for static ROA
> records?

Correct

> I assume these expiration records are based on wall-clock time instead
> of relative time?

Correct, wall-clock time expressed as number of seconds that have
elapsed since 00:00:00 UTC on 1 January 1970 (Unix time).

> It is a question whether we should handle expiration of such static routes
> properly / dynamically, or just a one-time check during reconfiguration.
> That would be order of magnitude simpler, but it is also a thing that
> could be done by a trivial script preprocessing the included config file
> with static ROA records.

For what its worth: OpenBGPD and StayRTR handle it 'dynamically', but
not in absolute real time: both implementations walk a table every few
(~3) minutes to check for newly expired entries.

Kind regards,

Job