Radv proto sending adverts on wrong interface

Daniel Gröber dxld at darkboxed.org
Mon Mar 13 08:49:03 CET 2023

Hi Kees,

On Mon, Mar 13, 2023 at 07:23:17AM +0100, Kees Meijs | Nefos wrote:
> About VLAN configuration: I guess one should never ever use VLAN_DEFAULT
> c.q. VLAN 1 at all. Vendors often think differently about this case,
> sometimes allowing to have a .1Q tag, sometimes not. Or sort of "both" as
> well. In combination with protocols such as LACP or (variations on) STP
> resulting in great fun, which of course is very sarcastic.

I changed the default using `default-vlan-id 4095` for that very
reason. Perhaps this is still a default vid related bug. I'll see if I can
reproduce this with some other vid.

> My two cents after opening up a box with a new switch, starting your
> configuration: explicitly disable VLAN1 and continue using others. Same goes
> for VLAN > 4090 by the way. These numbers are sometimes "reserved".

The brocade docs list the reserved vlans (4091, 4092) explicitly and allow
to change them like the default vid. The 4095 default vid I'm using is the
example they use in the docs so I'd be surprised if that's broken.

Using such low vlan ids is a holdover from using some ath9k wifi APs that
only supported 4-bit vids so we had to make every number count ;) I'll
definetly reconsider that in the future haha.

Thanks,
--Daniel