First Time Bird - Failing To Start

Maria Matejka maria.matejka at nic.cz
Sat Mar 18 12:01:54 CET 2023

Hello!

If you're setting up BIRD 1.6.x, please consider running BIRD 2 as the
version 1.6.x isn't getting any updates besides proven security bugs.

If you're setting up BIRD 2 from package, the SystemD unit file should
be distributed with it as well. If not, it is probably a packaging bug.
What package are you installing from?

If you're setting up BIRD 2 from source, then you have to create a unit
file yourself.

In both BIRD 2 cases, your config file default name is /etc/bird.conf,
not /etc/bird6.conf as BIRD 2 runs one daemon for both IPv6 and legacy IPv4.

And as Kevin suggested, the `systemctl status bird` and `journalctl -eu
bird` command outputs are what we probably need to check to move on.

BTW if you were into some more targeted and individualized support,
please let us know at bird-support at network.cz with your specific use
case to get a quote.

Maria