Force bird to update bgp route configuration after X seconds

Maria Matejka maria.matejka at nic.cz
Tue Mar 28 08:58:37 CEST 2023

Hello!

Yes, you shall run "birdc conf" yourself when your conffile is ready. What if BIRD started the autoreconfig right when you're writing the file? You could easily get strange behavior like accidentally removing a bunch of protocols by loading a partial config file. You'd have to assure atomic exchange of the file – and this way, you may just run the reconfigure command explicitly anyway.

There are some internal drafts on how to dynamically add routes without having to reload possibly large config files, yet we haven't decided on any approach yet, let aside actually implementing it.

Maria